Boron Carbide (B4C)
Boron Carbide is one of the hardest man-made materials available in commercial quantities that has a finite melting point low enough to permit its relatively easy fabrication into shapes. Some of Boron Carbide’s unique properties include: high hardness, chemical inertness, and a high neutron absorbing cross section. Washington Mills is the only manufacturer of Boron Carbide (B4C) crude in North America.
- Boron Carbide is well suited to a variety of industrial applications including:
- Abrasives for lapping and ultrasonic cutting
- Anti-oxidant in carbon-bonded refractory mixes
- Nuclear applications such as reactor control rods and neutron absorbing shielding
- Wear parts such as blasting nozzles, wire-drawing dies, powdered metal and ceramic forming dies, thread guides